top of page

Avon Lake takes down Lorain 69-48

Avon Lake, OH - On Tuesday night the Avon Lake Shoreman welcomed in the Lorain Titans. The stands were packed for both the home and away sides.

The crowd was amazingly loud as every time someone hit a shot or a call was made, the sound from the stands increased dramatically. The band on top of the home stands was a real nice touch to the game as well as the cheerleaders.

The tip was won by Lorain, but the first points were scored by Shoreman senior guard Collin Stewart at the free throw line. Avon Lake senior Isaac Richardson drove into the paint on back to back possessions scoring on each. A few plays later, Richardson scored again in the paint. It was an 8-0 start by the Avon Lake Shoremen.

The student section for Avon Lake was doing their best to get into the opposing team’s heads by repeating chants to aggravate the other team. Lorain finally scored after a 10-0 run by Avon Lake on a left wing 3-pointer by Jai’den Guerra-Howard. At the end of the 1st quarter the score is 12-3 Shoreman with Isaac Richardson leading the way with eight.

To start the 2nd quarter Derek McCrum got an offensive board and a layup to put Avon Lake up by 11. McCrum later made a layup after he caught his defender in the air with a pump fake, and scored another layup on the next possession giving Avon Lake a 21-3 lead. At the end of the first half, the score was 29-10 in favor of the Shoremen.

Starting off the 3rd quarter Titan's Matthew Stuewe drew a foul on the first play, and made one of two free throws. Lorain went on an 8-3 run which was capped off by a Dennis Pettis layup that was really close to being a dunk bringing the Lorain crowd to their feet.

Collin Stewart was awarded two free throws after a technical foul, and nailed both of them, putting the Shoremen up 15. Avon Lake went on a huge run increasing their lead to 20 points. Sadly for Lorain, Anthony Lorenzo was hit in the face after Isaac Richardson went up for a lob. Richardson hit both free throws after this, and had 15 points. Lorain had two nice blocks on Avon Lake in a matter of seconds. After that Stuewe got an and-one layup and converted the free throw to give himself eleven points. Avon Lake held a 50-25 lead after three.

In the 4th Avon Lake got a block on a jumper leading to a coast-to-coast layup by Danny Kerwin. Lorain then went on a 15-8 run, but at this point it seemed too late for a comeback. Guerra-Howard hit a nice euro-step and drew some excitement from the TItan's crowd.

Danny Kerwin made a nice block, sending the ball out of bounds after Avon Lake turned the ball over. With about two minutes left, Kerwin seemed to hurt his leg and had to sit out the rest of the game. Lorain played amazing defense to end the quarter, getting multiple steals in the back court. Tyler Birk made four technical foul free throws late in the fourth as the Shoreman put the game away and won 69-48.

I caught up with Avon Lake senior Isaac Richardson after the game.

This game recap is brought to you by Brunswick Auto Mart


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page