top of page

Brush comes out on top over St.Vincent St. Mary in a tough defensive battle 42-37

Euclid, Ohio - Euclid, Ohio in “Doc” Daugherty Gymnasium was the scene as the Brush Arcs took on the St. Vincent- St. Mary Fighting Irish in a Division 1 / Region 1 District semi-final matchup.

The game started out as a slow defensive battle. Jayson Walker and Alijah Murray started out the game trading baskets.

Both offenses started out stagnant as Brush was only up four to three in the first four minutes.

Brush started to get going a bit after Alijah Murray set up a teammate for a layup with about 2:30 to go.

The final points of the quarter would then be scored by Damari Dammons as he knocked down a three for Brush.

The quarter ended with Brush leading 9-4.

The second quarter started like the first with both teams trading quick baskets.

That was before Marlon Barnes got on the board for Brush giving them a thirteen to eight lead with about 5:30 left in the half.

This was followed up by a layup from Aliyy King coming from a Kaleb Burge assist.

That was before Marlon Barnes got on the board for Brush giving them a thirteen to eight lead with about 5:30 left in the half. minutes left.

Brush would then close the half with a put back layup from Gabe Mansel and a three pointer from Alijah Murray.

Brush wrapped up the first half up 20-14.

The second half would start out with a 10-3 run from SVSM thanks to a couple of three's from Kevin Hamilton paired with baskets from Darius Stratford and Jayson Walker.

The run would give St. V's a 24-23 lead halfway into the period.

The run was then halted by a free throw from Damari Dammons.

It wouldn’t be long before St. V's struck right back with a basket from SirCharles Gordon which was immediately answered by a Tyler Williams three point play.

The quarter would end with both teams trading buckets. Kaleb Burge ended the quarter with a jump shot at the buzzer to give Brush a 31-29 lead going into the fourth.

The fourth would start out with back and forth baskets before Marlon Barnes would get on the board for Brush. His bucket prompted a timeout and tied the game at 33 with about 5:30 to go.

Yahir Hill would knock down a three for Brush right out of the timeout before Stratford would knock down two free throws cutting Brush’s lead to one with three minutes to go.

A few possessions later Hamilton got by a defender for a layup to put St. V's up 37-36 with about 2:30 to go.

After that the game was all Brush as Marlon Barnes completely took over in the clutch. Brush’s next five points came from Barnes as they would eventually win 42-37.

When asked about his big time fourth quarter baskets Marlon said,

“Big time players make big time plays so I’m doing what it takes to get the win.”

Strong words from the Pittsburgh University commit.

Barnes had a game high 17 points as Hamilton led St.V with 15.

Brush will be back in action Saturday at Euclid High School as they will take on the winner of Louisville vs Walsh Jesuit in the District Final.


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page