top of page

Southeast with a big comeback win over Windham 59-58

Palmyra, OH- Southeast High School was the scene of a Tuesday night matchup between the host Pirates who came in at 1-4 on the season and the visiting Windham Bombers squad who was off to a 4-2 start.

Southeast won the tip but immediately turned it over. After and empty Windham possession Pirates guard Garrett Sprutte hit the first shot of the game. Both teams went back and forth scoring and turning the ball over until Windham was able to jump out to a 12-6 lead with just under 3:00 to play in the first on a Lucas Churchill jumper. They carried that momentum to close the first taking an 18-7 lead after one. Churchill was big with 9 of those 18 points as the Bombers ended the quarter on a 12-1 run.

The Bombers kept the foot on the gas in quarter two. Carlos Bruton hit a three to start the 2nd half for Windham and then converted an and-one a few plays later. The Bombers would start the second quarter on a 14-3 run to take a commanding 32-10 lead after a Dylan McCune three ball with just over 4:12 to play in the half. Southeast would gain a little momentum to close out the half as Sprutte scored the final 9 points of the quarter for the Pirates and they trailed 38-19 after one half. Sprutte had 14 of the 19 Southeast points. Lucas Churchill paced the Windham first half attack with 14.

Windham started the second half maintaining their large margin. After Southeast got within 14 at 41-27, the Bombers went on a mini 5-0 run to push the lead back out to 19 with 5:00 to play in the third. Southeast was able to turn the tides a bit to close out the third as they ended it on a 16-4 run to pull the deficit to single digits at 52-43 after a big bucket by Sprutte. That setup a big 4th quarter for the home Pirates.

After a scoreless first few minutes Southeast went on an 8-3 burst to cut Windham's lead to 4 at 55-51 with 4:20 to play in the game prompting a timeout by Windham coach Cody Apthorpe. With just under two minutes to go Garrett Sprutte got loose under the basket and scored bringing it to a 57-57 tie. The 22 point deficit had officially been erased for the Pirates and we had a ballgame. After an empty Windham possession Southeast big man Evan Riffle was able to score at the rim giving Southeast their first lead since the opening minutes of the game at 59-57 with 1:30 to play.

On the Bombers next possession the Pirates trapped and forced a jump ball situation that game them the ball back with the possession arrow in their favor. Windham was forced to foul Michael Phillips who missed the front end of a 1 and 1 giving Windham a chance to tie or take the lead. Pirates guard Carson Dunn was called for a technical foul which was his 5th foul of the game that sent him to the bench. Chase Eye converted one of the two free throws to make it a 59-58 Southeast lead. With the ball still in their hands Jack Eye was fouled and had a chance to out Windham ahead with a couple free throws. Unfortunately for Eye he missed the front end of a 1 and 1 but Windham grabbed the rebound a called a quick timeout. With 2.1 seconds to play Windham inbounded the ball but was unable to get off a shot and the Pirates came away with the 59-58 comeback win.

Garrett Sprute had an outstanding game for Southeast dropping in 28 points with 10 of those coming during their big 4th quarter surge. Evan Riffle and Michael Phillips each chipped in 10 points.

Carlos Bruton was the leading scorer for Windham with 18 points. Lucas Churchill added 15 and Chase Eye 14 for the Bombers.

I had a chance to speak with player of the game Garrett Sprutte and Pirates coach Mike Matisi after the game.

This game recap is brought to you by Daystar Ford


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page