top of page

St. Ed's Blows out Massillon Jackson 42-0

LAKEWOOD, OH- First Federal Lakewood Stadium was the site Friday night for the Division 1 playoff game between the top ranked St. Edward Eagles (10-1) and the Massillon Jackson Polar Bears (6-5).St Ed's is led by running back Marvin Bell, who has rushed for 100 yards in nine of 11 games, and a stout defense who has allowed less than 225 yards in their last five games while Jackson is led by running back Jason Davide, who has rushed for 1,495 and 25 TDs on the season.

St. Ed's received the opening kickoff and started their drive at the 20. On the first play, running back Marvin Ball was stopped for a 2-yard loss. It was one of the few times the Eagles were stopped on the day. Casey Bullock completed a 26-yard pass, and after two more quick runs, quarterback Casey Bullock executed a perfect option pitch to Marvin Bell for a TD, giving St. Ed's a 7-0 lead

Jackson received the ball next for the Polar Bears after a kickoff, with their drive starting on the 35 yard line, but after a short run and incomplete pass, QB Lucas Ecrement was sacked, which forced a quick three and out

It didn't take St. Ed's long after receiving the punt, as on the first play of the next drive, Bullock completed a 63-yard pass to Kyan Mason, and with the extra point, St Ed's had taken a 14-0 lead with just under six minutes left in the first quarter.

After a short kick, Jackson again received the ball, and after trying to establish a rushing attack led by Jason Davide, the Polar Bears drive stalled at the 37 after a failed 4th down conversion, and St. Ed's took over.

Again, it didn't take long for St. Ed's to score, as the combination of runs by Bell and QB Casey Bullock had St. Ed's inside the 10 after four plays, which included a holding penalty against St Eds. At the end of the first, St. Ed's led 14-0.

The second quarter began with a 3rd and 1 run from the inside the 10 by Bell, which went for a TD, and after the extra point, St. Ed's took a 21-0 with 11:55 left in the second quarter,

After the kickoff, the next Jackson drive started at their own 20, and after they were close to yet another three and out, a big run by Jason Davide allowed their drive to continue at their own 42-yard line, but on a 4th and 2, St. Ed's was able to stop Jackson on the 50, and after a quick run, Bullock completed a 35-yard pass to Josh Groudle, and after the extra point, St. Ed's led 28-0 with 7:02 left in the half.

After stifling Jackson and leaving them with a 4th and 21, a short punt gave Ed's the ball at their own 35, which turned into three plays and a 21-yard TD pass by Bullock to Mason to make the score 35-0 with 3:48 left in the half.

Another quick series was run by Jackson, who was only able to muster one first down before punting from their own 35. After a great punt, St. Eds began their next drive at their own 10 with 1:32 left in the half. St Ed's tried to conduct a two-minute drill, with quick passes to Mason and a quick run by Bullock, but the drive stalled with a holding call, and at the half, they led 35-0.

Jackson began the send half with the ball and came out with a quick 14-yard run by Davides, but after two short runs by Ecrement, Jackson was forced to punt, but it was blocked and returned eight yards by Eddie Andrew's for a St. Ed's touchdown. After the extra point, the score was now 42-0 St. Ed's with 6:30 left in the third quarter.

Jackson received the ball and was able to finally muster somewhat of a drive behind running back Davides, but a fumble on the St. Ed's 31 ended the drive.

Ed's was unable to move the ball and dropped a short punt that was fair caught at the 15. With four minutes left, the score remained 42-0 St Edward. Both teams possessed the ball one more time and ran the time out.

St Edward will play the winner of Cleveland Heights vs St. Ignatius next week.

This playoff recap is brought to you by Brunswick Auto Mart.



Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page