top of page

Youngstown Ursuline hold off Tallmadge at home in a electrifying 45-28 victory.

The Youngstown Ursuline Fighting Irish host the Tallmadge Blue Devils in the second round of the playoffs.

The Fighting Irish had the first possession of the ball and drove downfield but turned the ball over on downs, letting the Blue Devils have good field position.

On the Blue Devils first drive, running back Jackson Dougherty broke a 19-yard touchdown run to put Tallmadge on the board first 7-0.

Looking to strike back, the Fighting Irish drove all the way down the field but missed a field goal, keeping Ursuline off the board.

Starting on their own 30 on the next drive, Tallmadge, looking to extend their lead, drove down the field, and Dougherty put in another touchdown, this time from the 10, making the score 14-0 Blue Devils.

Needing points, the Fighting Irish were stopped on the goal line on their next possession on fourth down, giving the ball back to Tallmadge. From the 1-yard line, the Blue Devils ran the ball, and the Irish defense got the safety, putting points on the board.

After the safety, the Irish returned the free kick back for a touchdown, shortening Tallmadges' lead to 14-10.

At the start of the second half, Tallmadge punted on their first drive. Youngstown was able to take advantage and put the ball in the end zone when quarterback Jackson Erickson hit a 40-yard touchdown pass to take a 17-14 lead, their first of the game.

Tallmadge had to punt the ball back to the Irish, where they immediately went to work and scored on a 64-yard touchdown pass from Erickson, extending their lead to 24-14.

After the huge touchdown, Ursuline went for an onside kick and recovered. Instantly, the Fighting Irish went right down the field and scored on a 5-yard touchdown run to take a commanding 31-14 lead.

Tallmadge tried to get back in the fight on the next drive, but they would turn the ball over on downs. On the ensuing Fighting Irish drive, a 73-yard touchdown run extended their lead even further to 38-14.

Striking back, the Blue Devils’ quarterback, Ty Hurst, found his receiver in the end zone to chip away at the Fighting Irish lead, 38-20.

Putting the game out of reach, running back Dc Ferrell ran untouched for a 30-yard touchdown for Youngstown Ursuline, making the score 45-20.

With a final score of 45-28, the Youngstown Ursuline Fighting Irish advance in the playoffs and with face the Canfield Cardinals in Canfield next week.

After the game, I had a chance to interview Fighting Irish head coach Dan Reardon.

Unofficial Stats:

Blue Devils

T. Hurst: 28/31, 269 yards, 2 TD

J. Dougherty: 10 rush, 66 yards, 2 TD

Fighting Irish

J. Erickson: 8/11, 156 yards, 2 TD

C. Lynch: 20 rush, 126 yards

This playoff recap is brought to you by Brunswick Auto Mart.



Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page