top of page

Mount Union's explosive offense proves to be too much for John Carroll in 49-14 win

University Heights— Don Shula Stadium was the scene for this highly anticipated OAC matchup. John Carroll wasn’t able to fend off Mount Union in the 49-14 home loss.

The game started out as a defensive battle, Chris Golson had a huge tackle on fourth down and Mount got a sack on third down.

The offenses didn’t get going until the end of the quarter. Mount put together a touchdown drive with multiple third down conversions coming from a Wayne Ruby catch and a Tyler Echeverry run. A 25 yard gain set up a two yard touchdown run for Tyler Echeverry.

John Carroll didn’t take long to respond, they got a big 42 yard reception from Brennan Fugh. The Blue Streaks followed up with a two yard touchdown run from Evan Mcvay. The quarter ended with both teams tied at seven.

Mount Union turned a corner in the second quarter. They started out with multiple first down receptions coming from Ethan Ceurvorst and Ruby. A 22 yard rush for DeAndre Parker got them to the goal line where Braxton Plunk ran in a two yard touchdown. Mount led 14-7.

Mount had a huge punt return of over 50 yards, they took advantage with a 13 yard touchdown reception for Nick Turner. They added even more to their lead with a pick six from Ian Sexton. They closed the half out up 28-7.

The Blue Streaks came out at halftime firing. They got several chunk plays from Fugh, Torok and Tyler Mintz who scored a 20 yard touchdown.

Mount responded with a chunk play of their own with a 60 yard touchdown pass from Plunk, they didn’t stop there. After forcing a turnover on downs with a sack on fourth and goal they put together another touchdown drive.

They featured Parker a lot on this drive, he picked up multiple first downs and scored a five yard touchdown to start the fourth quarter. Mount led 42-14.

The Purple Raider offense got right back on the field thanks to a Josh Jones pick. Mount Union gained multiple first downs on the ground including a 30 yard rush. It was capped off with a three yard touchdown catch from Ryan Eiden with nine minutes to go in the game.

The rest of the game saw teams trade punts and Mount ended the game with kneels, letting the clock run out. Mount went home victorious with a 49-14 victory.

With the loss the Blue Streaks are now 7-2 on the year. They have another OAC matchup on the road against Otterbein November 11th 1:30 PM. The Purple Raiders will wrap up their regular season on Saturday at Kehres Stadium vs Baldwin Wallace.


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page